Monday 14 September 2009

What Ben Gibbard said

Maybe a nonsensical title for all those who aren´t as deeply analytical of Death Cab for Cutie lyrics as me, the message however is "There´s no comfort in the waiting room" (What Sarah Said). This is true, and also the reason for me to get two entries in within 24 hours, as i sit at 6 in the morning on the Loki Internet waiting for breakfast and bed - in that order.

Am i getting to old? Or am i more...resourceful in the use of my time travelling? As Ben and I listened to some loud mouth "dave" blabber on to people about how he´s been thrown out of hostels and been fined for pissing on the street - none of which, of course, were his fault - with constantly saying "Have you not heard about me?" which we found hilarious, considering himself some South American boozed up celebrity, where the only way would see him would be on ITV 4s "Booze Britian Abroad". Maybe it´s the tiredness making me cynical, but i´m definately glad my stories aren´t solely pissed up tales that i could have achieved with a weekend in Southport. Not saying that i don´t want to - but he missed the Death road because he wanted to drink in the Loki bar, a terribly over-gringoed place - that´s a bit of a waste...

All this may seem a little hypocritical being that the route we have taken through the continent is trodden with Western Nike and Adidas shoes and lined with touristic stalls selling all the kinds of tat the users of factor 40 suncream on a cloudy day would love. But i try and push that to the back of my mind with vaguely attempted Spanish to the locals and finding times where we really are off the beaten track (Miners party Potosi). As i said before, our time is short and possibly the least out of everyone we have met, so we ARE checking the appropriate boxes of "Things to do in South America" instead of diving into the "rich culture" of Paraguay where although perhaps feeling the true lifestyle, feeling it is a life you wouldn´t want to lead...

More of a rant than a substantial entry of goings on, but what can i say about a bus ride? I was sat next to some smelly woman on the bus but fortunately found the WHOLE back row free after finding that my clothes couldn´t cover my nostrils well enough to avoid the stench...

I think i better stop before i give off an impression of not enjoying myself, because i am loving it all - even the smelly, spitting tramp lady. I just need some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment